It appears that Rapids defender Ugo Ihemelu will not be suiting up for the Rapids on Saturday against Toronto FC.
This makes me unhappy. Not only because Ugo is my favorite player, but also because it leaves us quite thin at the centerback position. Facundo Erpen received a red card last week for a kick to the nuts (yeah, ouch) so he's unavailable. Mike Petke is still a week or two away from being able to play for the reserves team. That leaves Rafael Gomes, and Stephen Keel.
I like Rafael....at central defensive mid. I also like Dirty Steve. As a backup.
I hate to say it, but this is a bad turn of events. Ugo's gone, Pablo's gone, Erpen's gone, and to top it all off, Bouna's gone and not playing for Senegal. This does not make for a happy koala.
The weirdest part is why Ugo won't be with the team.
His full name is Ugocheckwu Ihemelu. Well, sans middle name. Obviously the dude isn't of American descent. Nor is he of Canadian descent, at least you would think with a name like that, right?
Well, he's gotten called up to play for the Canadian national team. Why is that weird?
1. He was born in Nigeria.
2. He has a cap for the US International team.
3. His name is Ugocheckwu. Since when is that Canadian?
I didn't even know he had any association with Canada. But apparently enough to play for their national team.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there instead of Bocanegra or Califf for the US squad (I know, I'm probably alone in that sentiment, but I've never liked Bocanegra. I did kind of like Califf, but still, Ugo's the f'n man, man). But it sure leaves my Rapids up a creek.
Fortunately it will be Toronto that we're playing, and they aren't the best team in the world. But we will be at their field, and they've got a great crowd. They also aren't as bad as a second year team probably should be.
I don't envision good things for the Rapids this weekend, but that doesn't mean I won't be watching the whole game and cheering the whole time.
To quote the Simpsons; "Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong."
Now go do it los Rapidos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment